Here we gathered for you today some of the popular adhkar (words of praise) our beloved Prophet, peace and blessings upon him, used to cite
All praise is due to Allah The Exalted, and may Allah raise the rank of our beloved Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him, his kind relatives and companions, and protect his nation from that which he feared for them thereafter;
Brothers in Islam, fear Allah subhanahu wa ta^ala as you should, and know that verses 56 and 57 of surat adh-Dhariyat mean: [Allah has created jinn and mankind and ordered them to worship Him.]
This verse confirms that the purpose to their existence is to worship Allah and obey Him as such. Therefore, it is their duty to fulfil this command and refrain from indulging in the luxuries of this world where life is only temporary and not a permanent one. Itliving in this world can be compared to a travelling vessel which takes one to the afterlife and is not a place complete with ultimate happiness and delight. For this reason, the wise and intelligent inhabitants of this earth are the one who worship Allah with the smartest contently doing so.
In light of the truth about this worldly life and given that we understand the purpose of our life on earth it is advised that the accountable adheres to the authenticated path of our beloved Prophet Muhammad sallallahu ^alayhi wa sallam in terms of morality and self discipline. Allah, The Exalted said:
“ وَتَعَاوَنُواْ عَلَى الْبرِّ وَالتَّقْوَى”
[Collaborate with one another to achieve virtue and piety, and do not collaborate with one another in sin and transgression.]
Also it has been confirmed that the Messenger of Allah peace be upon him said: [Allah’s help will reach the slave as long as the slave always helps his brother in Islam.]
The Prophet also said: [Whoever directs one to an act of goodness, shall receive a reward similar to the one who performs that act.]
He also said to ^Aliyy may Allah raise his rank: [I swear by Allah that if you were to guide someone to Islam your reward shall exceed any pleasure that this world can offer.]
Allah subhanahu wa ta^ala said in surat al-Ahzab, verse 35:
” وَالذَّاكِرِينَ اللهَ كَثِيرًا وَالذَّاكِرَاتِ أَعَدَّ اللهُ لَهُم مَّغْفِرَةً وَأَجْرًا عَظِيمًا “
This means: [And the male and female believers who frequently praise Allah (whether standing, sitting or even lying down) with their hearts or tongues shall receive a great deal of reward along with forgiveness from Allah.]
For this very reason, we gathered for you today some of the popular adhkar (words of praise) our beloved Prophet, peace and blessings upon him, used to cite.
It has been narrated through the route of Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet peace upon used to say in the morning:
” اللهمَ بكَ أَصبَحْنا وبك أمسَيْنا وبك نحيا وبك نموت وإليك النشور”
[O Allah it is Your Will that we wake in the morning and that we carry on to see the night, and it is Your Will that we shall live and whenever we die; to Your questioning we shall be resurrected.]
And the Prophet sallallahu ^alayhi wa sallam said: [Any slave of Allah who says in the morning of every day and in the evening of every night:
“بسم الله الذي لا يضرُّ معَ اسمه شىءٌ في الأرض ولا في السماء وهو السميع العليم”
three times shall be safe from the reach of anything evil or harmful.]
The Messenger of Allah sallallahu ^alayhi wa sallam also said: [Whoever says in the morning and evening:
“رضِيت بالله ربًّا وبالإسلام دينًا وبمحمّدٍ صلى الله عليه وسلّم نبيًّا”
Three times shall be admitted into Paradise. These words mean: “I have accepted, as I always will, that Allah is my Lord, Islam is my religion and Muhammad is my Prophet”]. This hadith means that Allah will save from the torture of Hellfire the one who says these words of praise daily three times in the morning and similarly in the evening after Maghrib. This Promise from Allah is incomparably great for despite how easy it is for the tongue to say these words without much effort and in such a short time, a person is rewarded greatly simply for saying them.
Brothers in Islam; The Messenger of Allah sallallahu ^alyhiwa sallam stressed the importance of keeping quiet except in matters of goodness, he said: [those who believe in Allah and the Day of Judgment had better spoken of goodness, or otherwise remained quiet.]
Therefore our dear brothers in Islam, we urge you to keep steadfast to reciting the related adhkar of the Prophet in the mornings and in the evenings. ( Keep listening and memorise the adhkar played on air on the Muslim Community Radio 92.1fm) in the morning after Fajr and in the evening after Maghrib, and recite them daily within the time frame of when Fajr begins and until a time lapse of approximately three and a half hours. Do so again within the time frame of when Maghrib sets in and until three and a half hours. For Allah subhanahu wa ta^ala said in the Holy Qur’an:
” أَلاَ بِذِكْرِ اللهِ تَطْمَئِنُّ الْقُلُوبُ “
[Verily in praising Allah, the hearts find comfort.]
Here are some most authentic ahadith containing the most rewardable adhkar to bring them closer to the reach of the Muslim reader, so that they are recited at home and whilst travelling. Furthermore, I gathered them so that they are taught within Islamic circles of knowledge and in every avenue of good. Please strive to memorise and act upon them, for I swear by Allah that they are more valuable than treasures of gold and silver, better than well bred horses and all red camels (the most valuable). These narrations contain rewards so colossal that they can fill the expanse of the heavens and the earth and have been gifted to you from the Most Generous King, from the One Most Beneficent, Most Merciful, from One Who has promised his servants everlasting pleasure. I ask Allah to be pleased with all of whom read them, act by them, teach them and spread them and that He admits them into his Paradise and that He saves them from His hellfire.
عن أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ قَالَ: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: «أَلاَ أدلكم بِمَا إِنْ أَخَذْتُمْ بِهِ أَدْرَكْتُمْ مَنْ سَبَقَكُمْ وَلَمْ يُدْرِكْكُمْ أَحَدٌ بَعْدَكُمْ، وَكُنْتُمْ خَيْرَ مَنْ أَنْتُمْ بَيْنَ ظَهْرَانَيْهِمْ، إِلاَّ مَنْ عَمِلَ مِثْلَهُ تُسبِّحُونَ دبر كل صلاة ثلاثاً وثلاثين وَتَحْمَدُونَ ثلاثاً وثلاثين وَتكبِّرُونَ ثلاثاً وثلاثين وتقول تمام المائة: لا إله إلا الله وحده لا شريك له الملك وله الحمد وهو على كل شيء قدير».
1) Some poor people came to the Prophet sala Allahu ‘alayh wasalam and said, “The wealthy people will get higher grades and will have permanent enjoyment and they pray like us and fast as we do. They have more money by which they perform the Hajj, and `Umra, fight and struggle in Allah’s Cause and give in charity.” The Prophet said, “Shall I not tell you a thing upon which if you acted you would catch up with those who have surpassed you? Nobody would overtake you and you would be better than the people amongst whom you live except those who would do the same. Say “SubhanAllah“, “Al hamdu lillah” and “Allahu Akbar” thirty three times each after every (compulsory) prayer.” We differed and some of us said that we should say, “SubhanAllah” thirty three times and “Al hamdu lillah” thirty three times and “Allahu Akbar” thirty four times. I went to the Prophet sala Allahu ‘alayh wasalam who said, “Say, “SubhanAllah” and “Al hamdu lillah” and “Allahu Akbar” all of them, thirty three times.”
وعنه أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ: «مَنْ قَالَ لاَ إِلهَ إِلاَّ اللهُ وَحْدَهُ لاَ شَرِيكَ لَهُ، لَهُ الْمُلْكُ وَلَهُ الْحَمْدُ وَهُوَ عَلَى كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرٌ فِي كُلِّ يَوْمٍ، مَائَةَ مَرَّةٍ كَانَتْ لَهُ عَدْلَ عَشْرِ رِقَابٍ، وَكُتِبَتْ لَهُ مَائَةُ حَسَنَةٍ، وَمُحِيَتْ عَنْهُ مَائَةُ سَيِّئَةٍ، وَكَانَتْ لَهُ حِرْزًا مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ، يَوْمَهُ ذلِكَ، حَتَّى يُمْسِي وَلَمْ يَأْتِ أَحَدٌ بِأَفْضَلَ مِمَّا جَاءَ بِهِ، إِلاَّ أَحَدٌ عَمِلَ أَكْثَرَ مِنْ ذَلِكَ».
2) The Prophet sala Allahu ‘alayh wasalam said: “He who uttered these words:” There is no god but Allah, the One, having no partner with Him. Sovereignty belongs to Him and all the praise is due to Him, and He is Potent over everything” one hundred times every day there is a reward of emancipating ten slaves for him, and there are recorded a hundred virtues to his credit, and a hundred vices are blotted out from his scroll, and that is a safeguard for him against Satan on that day until evening and no one brings anything more excellent than this, except one who has done more than this (who utters these words more than one hundred times and does more good acts).
وعنه أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ: «مَنْ قَالَ سُبْحَانَ اللهِ وَبِحَمْدِهِ، فِي يَوْمٍ مَائَةَ مَرَّةٍ، حُطَّتْ خَطَايَاهُ، وَإِنْ كَانَتْ مِثْلَ زَبَدِ الْبَحْرِ».
3) The Prophet sala Allahu ‘alayh wasalam said: “Whoever says a hundred times, “Exalted be Allah, and all praise is due to Him,” his sins will be forgiven though they may be as much as the foam of the sea.”
وعنه، عَنِ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ: «كَلِمَتَانِ خَفِيفَتَانِ عَلَى اللِّسَانِ، ثَقِيلَتَانِ فِي الْمِيزَانِ، حَبِيبَتَانِ إِلَى الرَّحْمنِ: سبْحَانَ اللهِ وَبِحَمْدِهِ سُبْحَانَ اللهِ الْعَظِيم»ِ.
4) The Prophet sala Allahu ‘alayh wasalam said, “There are two expressions which are very easy for the tongue to say, but they are very heavy in the balance and are very dear to The Beneficent (Allah), and they are, ‘SubhanAllahi wa bihamdihi’ and ‘SubhanAllahi al-`Ażim.‘”
وعنه قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: «لئن أقول سبحان الله والحمد لله ولا إله إلا الله والله أكبر أحبُ إليّ مما طلعت عليه الشمس».
5) The Prophet sala Allahu ‘alayh wasalam said, “That I should say: ‘Exalted is Allah (SubhanAllah),’ ‘All praise is due to Allah (al-hamdu lillah),’ ‘None has the right to be worshipped by Allah (la ilaha illAllah),’ and ‘Allah is the greatest (Allahu Akbar)’ is more beloved to me than all that the sun has risen over.”
وعنه قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: «من صلّى عليّ صلاة صلّى الله عليه بها عشراً».
6) I heard the Messenger of Allah sala Allahu ‘alayh wasalam saying: “Whoever supplicates Allah to exalt my mention, Allah will exalt his mention ten times.” (Saying for example, Allahumma salli ‘ala Muhammad.)
عن أَنَسٍ قَالَ: كَانَ أَكْثَرُ دُعَاءِ النَبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: «اللهُمَّ آتِنَا فِي الدُّنْيَا حَسَنَةً، وَفِي الآخِرَةِ حَسَنَةً، وَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّار».ِ
7) The most frequent invocation of the Prophet sala Allahu ‘alayh wasalam was: “O Allah! Give to us in the world that which is good and in the Hereafter that which is good, and save us from the torment of the Fire.”(An ayah from the Qur’an, 2.201.)
عن أَبِي مُوسى الأَشْعَرِيِّ قَالَ: قال لي رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: يا عبدالله بن قيس: «أَلاَ أَدُلُّكَ عَلَى كَنْزٍ مِنْ كُنُوزِ الْجَنَّةِ؟!» قُلْتُ: بَلَى يَا رَسُولَ اللهِ قَالَ: «لاَ حَوْلَ وَلاَ قُوَّةَ إِلاَّ بِاللهِ».ِ
8) Abu Musa al-Ash’ari reported that Allah’s Messenger sala Allahu ‘alayh wasalam said to him: “Should I not direct you to the words from the treasures of Paradise; or he said: Like a treasure from the treasures of Paradise?” I said: “Of course, do that.” Thereupon he said: “There is no might and no power but that of Allah.”
عن شداد بن أوس قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: «سيد الاستغفار أن تقول: اللَّهُمَّ أَنْتَ رَبِّي لا إِلَهَ إِلا أَنْتَ، خَلَقْتَنِي وَأَنَا عَبْدُكَ، وَأَنَا عَلَى عَهْدِكَ وَوَعْدِكَ مَا اسْتَطَعْتُ، أعوذ بك من شر ما صنعت أَبُوءُ لَكَ بِنِعْمَتِكَ عَلَيَّ، وَأَبُوءُ لَكَ بِذَنْبِي، فَاغْفِرْ لِي؛ فَإِنَّهُ لا يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ إِلا أَنْتَ».
9) The Prophet sala Allahu ‘alayh wasalam said: “The best manner of asking for forgiveness is to say: “O Allah! You are my Lord. None has the right to be worshipped except You. You created me and I am your servant and I abide by your covenant and promise as best I can. I seek refuge in you from the evil which I have committed. I acknowledge your favour upon me and I knowledge my sins, so forgive me, for verily none can forgive sin except you.”
عَنْ جُوَيْرِيَةَ بنت الحارث قَالَتْ: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: «لَقَدْ قُلْتُ بَعْدَكِ أَرْبَعَ كَلِمَاتٍ ثَلاثَ مَرَّاتٍ لَوْ وُزِنَتْ بِمَا قُلْتِ مُنْذُ الْيَوْمِ لَوَزَنَتْهُنَّ: سُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ وَبِحَمْدِهِ، عَدَدَ خَلْقِهِ، وَرِضَا نَفْسِهِ، وَزِنَةَ عَرْشِهِ، وَمِدَادَ كَلِمَاتِهِ».
10) Juwairiya rady Allahu ‘anha reported that Allah’s Messenger sala Allahu ‘alayh wasalam came out from (her apartment) in the morning as she was busy in observing her dawn prayer in her place of worship. He came back in the forenoon and she was still sitting there. He (the Holy Prophet) said to her:
“You have been in the same seat since I left you?” She said: “Yes.” Thereupon Allah’s Apostle sala Allahu ‘alayh wasalam said: “I recited four words three times after I left you and if these are to be weighed against what you have recited since morning these would outweigh them and (these words) are: Exalted be Allah and praise is due to Him according to the number of His creation and according to the pleasure of His Self and according to the weight of His Throne and according to the ink (used in recording) words (for His Praise).”